I’ve been a freelance writer and editor for almost 10 years now. There were some skeptics who thought I’d be working full time for an employer within a year. But, I’ve been fortunate and enjoyed the flexibility freelancing affords me in terms of being able to write what I want about, spend time with my young daughters and even travel.
Becoming a freelance project manager can be a great career move if you have the skills and experience needed to successfully manage projects on your own. Here are some steps to help you get started:
- Develop your skills: As a project manager, you’ll need to have a strong skill set in areas such as planning, scheduling, budgeting, risk management, and communication. If you don’t have these skills yet, consider taking courses or workshops to develop them.
- Gain experience: You’ll need to have some experience managing projects before you can become a successful freelance project manager. Consider volunteering for projects or taking on small projects to gain experience and build a portfolio of successful projects.
- Build a network: Networking is crucial in any industry, but especially in freelance work. Build a network of contacts in your industry by attending events, joining professional organizations, and connecting with others on social media.
- Set up your business: You’ll need to set up your business as a freelance project manager, including creating a website, setting your rates, and creating contracts and proposals for clients.
- Find clients: Once you have the skills, experience, and network, it’s time to start finding clients. Reach out to your network, search job boards, and consider working with staffing agencies to find project management opportunities.
- Deliver results: As a freelance project manager, it’s important to consistently deliver high-quality results for your clients. This will help you build a strong reputation and attract more clients in the future.
Remember that becoming a freelance project manager takes time, effort, and dedication. But with the right skills and experience, it can be a rewarding and profitable career move.